First Tee - Greater Portland uses golf to teach our youth life lessons and leadership skills. Teaming up with experts in positive youth development, First Tee helps youth become good golfers and even better people.
Life Skills Experience Classes
The Life Skills Experience is one of the unique features that separates First Tee from many other junior golf programs. The life lessons taught at First Tee are always centered around golf-related activities with the primary purpose of having fun. Through these lessons, participants learn about themselves and others through experiences that enhance their golf skills and more importantly, their fundamental values for life.
We primarily offer three sessions
(Spring, Summer & Fall
) at 7 site locations
within the Portland/Eugene area. Sessions include 4-8 weeks of instruction
in a fun, group setting for youth ages 7 to 18
regardless of background or previous experience. Select Discovery classes are also offered for 5 and 6 year olds
. The price of each session varies by class type and Financial aid
is always available.
See Here for our 2022 Indoor Winter Program Schedule. More coming soon!
A Youth Program Unlike Any Other
First Tee emphasizes Nine Core Values: honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy and judgment. Through golf and our core values, your kids and teens will learn life skills like:
- Making proper introductions
- Managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
Advancing through the Program
From age 7 through 18, youth progress through different levels by demonstrating First Tee's Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants 7 and older start at the PLAYer level. The pinnacle of First Tee is completing Ace.
- Discovery (ages 4-6) - Learn the basic FUNdamentals of golf in a developmentally appropriate setting.
- PLAYer (minimum age 7) - Tee up for the first time and learn the game of golf and First Tee’s Code of Conduct.
- Par (minimum age 9) - Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course.
- Birdie (minimum age 11) - Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality.
- Eagle (minimum age 12) - Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- Ace (required minimum age 15 or entering 9th grade) - Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.
- LPGA*USGA Girls Golf (recommended ages 6-12) - An all-girls class that focuses on the basics of golf and on-course experience.
- Junior Champions (recommended ages 6-14) - An introduction to competitive play, learn how to keep score for stroke and match-play format competition.
- First Tee Tour (ages 5-18) - A local competitive golf tour that awards points for participating, placing in tour stops, golf class participation, and volunteerism / academic achievements.
Summer Golf Camps
Along with our year-round golf classes, we offer 3 day golf camps during the summer at our Chapter Headquarters, The Campbell Course - Home of the Children's Course. These camps are open to children ages 7-18 and are a fun way to be a part of our Life Skills Experience in a condensed format!
2022 Life Skills Experience Camps
Registration will open for our Summer Life Skills Experience camps on Monday, April 4th
! Stay tuned for more information about these offerings.
Available spots will be limited. If your preferred camp is full, you can choose to be placed on the waiting list and you will be notified if we are able to open spots. Financial aid is available.