On the Golf Course
Junior golf is just part of First Tee. Through our program that strengthens character, kids will learn life skills that stay with them into the rest of their lives, like:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
Life Skills Experience Classes
The Life Skills Experience is one of the unique features that separates First Tee from many other junior golf programs. The life lessons taught at First Tee are always centered around golf-related activities with the primary purpose of having fun. Through these lessons, participants learn about themselves and others through experiences that enhance their golf skills and more importantly, their fundamental values for life.
We primarily offer three sessions (Spring, Summer & Fall) at 7 site locations within the Portland/Eugene area. Sessions include 4-8 weeks of instruction in a fun, group setting for youth ages 7 to 18 regardless of background or previous experience. Select Discovery classes are also offered for 5 and 6 year olds. The price of each session varies by class type and Financial aid is always available.
Advancing through the Program
Participants progress through levels by demonstrating inner strength, character, and the life and golf skills they have learned. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level.
- Discovery (ages 5 and 6) – Fun introduction to golf and the First Tee program
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Tee it up for the first time and learn the game of golf and First Tee’s Code of Conduct
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality
- Eagle (recommended minimum age 13) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community
- LPGA*USGA Girls Golf (recommended ages 7-12) – An all-girls class that focuses on the basics of golf and on-course experience.
- Junior Champions (recommended ages 7-14) – An introduction to competitive play, learn how to keep score for stroke and match-play format competition.
- First Tee Tour (ages 5-18) – A local competitive golf tour that awards points for participating, placing in tour stops, golf class participation, and volunteerism / academic achievements.
Summer Golf Camps
Along with our year-round golf classes, we offer 3 day golf camps during the summer at our Chapter Headquarters, The Campbell Course – Home of The Children’s Course. These camps are open to children ages 7-18 and are a fun way to be a part of our Life Skills Experience in a condensed format!
2022 Life Skills Experience Camps
Registration will open for our Summer Life Skills Experience camps on Monday, April 4th! Stay tuned for more information about these offerings.
Available spots will be limited. If your preferred camp is full, you can choose to be placed on the waiting list and you will be notified if we are able to open spots. Financial aid is available.