On the Golf Course
At First Tee – Greater Portland, we’re Building Game Changers by empowering kids and teens to be the best version of themselves.
By seamlessly integrating the game of golf with character-building, we create learning experiences that help kids uncover their inner strength, self-confidence, and resilience that they can carry to everything they do.
Our trained coaches not only provide an introduction to junior golf and an opportunity to enhance golf skills, but they also create a safe, supportive, and empowering environment to help your child prepare for life ahead, including friendships, school, college and even their careers.
Through our program, kids will learn skills that stay with them for life:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
- Golf fundamentals and advanced techniques
Advancing through the First Tee Program:
At each age group, participants engage with the 5 Key Commitments: Pursuing Goals, Growing through Challenge, Collaborating with Others, Building Positive Self-Identity, and Using Good Judgement, while focusing on mastering golf fundamentals and building upon a golf skill foundation as they advance within the program.
- Be active and have fun with peers in a safe and encouraging manner
- Build inner strength and self-confidence
- Learn to play golf
- Focus on building relationships with other players while exploring the game of golf
- Explore character concepts in active and collaborative ways that are valuable on and off the course
- Develop golf skills and enthusiasm for the game
- Support positive Game Changing behaviors in fun and meaningful ways
- Explore both golf skills and characters commitments while having fun with peers
- Provide opportunities to demonstrate mastery and growth in golf skills and abilities
- Support growth and development of early adolescents
- Build character and support personal development
- Develop additional golf skills and abilities
- Look toward their future and plan their own paths
- Evaluate, reflect, and apply their understanding of life and golf skills to new situations on and off the course
Life Skills Experience Classes
The Life Skills Experience is one of the unique features that separates First Tee from many other junior golf programs. The life lessons taught at First Tee are always centered around golf-related activities with the primary purpose of having fun. Through these lessons, participants learn about themselves and others through experiences that enhance their golf skills and more importantly, their fundamental values for life.
We offer three main sessions (Spring, Summer & Fall) at 6 site locations within the Portland/Eugene area. Sessions include 4-8 weeks of instruction in a fun, group setting for youth ages 5 to 18 regardless of background or previous experience. The price of each session varies by class type and financial aid is always available.
- Discovery (ages 5 and 6) – A fun introductory golf program for 5-6 year olds. This class provides a fun and safe environment that creates curiosity about the game of golf.
- LPGA*USGA Girls Golf (recommended ages 7-12) – Girls Golf specializes in providing safe, girl-friendly environments for juniors to have fun learning the game of golf and making friends with other girls doing the same!
- First Tee Tour (ages 5-18) – A local competitive golf tour that awards points for participating, placing in tour stops, golf class participation, and volunteerism / academic achievements.
Summer Golf Camps
Along with our year-round golf classes, we offer 3 day golf camps during the summer at our Chapter Headquarters, The Campbell Course – Home of The Children’s Course. These camps are open to children ages 7-14 and are a fun way to be a part of our First Tee Program in a condensed format!
Registration will open for our Summer First Tee Camps on Monday, April 18th! Camp schedules will post 1-2 weeks prior to the registration start date in the ‘2022 Programming’ section (below) of our website.
Available spots will be limited. If your preferred camp is full, you can choose to be placed on the waiting list and you will be notified if we are able to open spots. Financial aid is available.